Northshore Trail is among most well-known, longest, and most heavily-trafficked mountain bike trails in all of north Texas. The trail runs along the northern shore of Lake Grapevine (hence the name) in Flower Mound, TX. Once a motocross trail, the land has long been converted and maintained as the premier off-road cycling trail under the care of the Dallas Off-Road Bicycling Association.
The complete trail is 22.5 miles long, and is broken into two major loops:
- East Side—consists of Loops 1 through 4—12.5 miles in length
- West Side—consists of Loops 5 through 7—10 miles in length
East side is an intermediate level trail with some punchy climbs and some relatively touch technical features. West side is much more technical and it is not recommended you ride it alone the first time unless you are a skilled rider who understands their limitations.
There are five main trailheads:
- Murrell Park MADD Shelter—Approach from FM 2499 and turn west onto FM 3040. Turn left onto McKamy Creek Rd until you come to the T at Simmons Rd. Turn left onto Simmons and continue straight until you enter the park at the guard shack. Take the first right down Murrell Park Rd then turn right onto Green Oaks Dr. Drive until you come to a parking area—this is the MADD Shelter trailhead. From here you can access both East side and West side.
- Lakeside:—Approach from FM 2499 and take Lakeside Pkwy west to the traffic circle. Continue on Lakeside until you come to a second traffic circle, then take a right onto Edgemere RD and take it to the end. There is limited parking available here along the street. As a result, some trail riders park at Giant Lakeside (2501 Lakeside Pkwy #180, Flower Mound, TX 75022) and ride to the trailhead from there. You’ll see the trailhead at the end of Edgemere RD on the right. From here you can access Loop 4 and Rockledge Park. For now, there is no fee to enter Rockledge Park via bicycle from Northshore Trail, but this may change in the future.
- Boy Scout Camp—2908 North Park Drive—Approach from FM 2499 and take Lakeside Pkwy west to the first traffic circle, then turn right onto Sandy LN. From there, turn right onto Heritage LN which will turn into McPherson. Follow McPherson to Elmwood DR then turn right. Next, turn left onto North Park DR and follow the road to the parking lot. Don’t park in front of the swinging gates. From here you can access Loop 3.
- Twin Coves Park—There is a fee to enter Twin Coves Park by vehicle. This is an RV park managed by the city of Flower Mound. Approach from FM 2499 and turn west onto FM 3040. Turn left at McKamy Creek RD and when the road comes to a T at Simmons RD, turn right. Next, turn left on Wichita Trail and the park entrance will be on your left. From here you can access the far West end of the West side loop.
- Rockledge Park—There is a fee to enter Rockledge Park by bicycle or vehicle.—3600 Pilot Point, Grapevine, TX. From here you can access the portion of (unofficial) trail along Rockledge and head west toward Loop 4.
E-bikes are not allowed on ACOE trails.