Thanks for your interest in writing for—or contributing to—NTX Trails. If accepted as a contributor, your additions will help increase trail awareness and advocacy, help readers hone their knowledge and skills, and promote local trails.
We’re looking for contributors to write articles, blog posts, and help keep our content accurate, fresh, and useful. If you’re interested in contributing as a writer, photographer, or videographer, please keep reading then fill out the application below.
What makes a good NTX Trails article?
- Read this site and become familiar with the type of content we publish. Get to know our “voice” as well. In general, we like writing that is friendly, conversational, and clean. (Yep, that means no sweary words. Write like you’d speak to a 5-year-old you just met while his/her big, muscular father is standing nearby.)
- Write in a patient manner, as if you’re personally teaching someone a new skill. We want our posts to be understandable by seasoned MTBers and newbies alike.
- Use regular headers and write in short segments with short paragraphs. Make your post reader-friendly and scannable.
- Have a main message and get to it quickly. Edit your intro so that the main message of your post is clear, then get to the point ASAP.
- Be descriptive and prescriptive. Tell readers both to do something and how to do it.
- Avoid jargon when possible, give explanations when unavoidable. We mountain bikers speak a special language that is completely foreign to newbies. Be prepared to explain yourself. When in doubt, you can reference our Glossary of MTB Terms and Slang for help.
- Include images and video when possible. Some people learn better by watching or seeing examples. Add visual content when possible to enhance your message.
- Make it practical. Give specific descriptions, checklists, or step-by-step instructions as often as possible and practical.
- Be yourself. You love mountain biking, so let your passion shine through in your writing.
What topics is NTX Trails looking for?
- MTB Life: Articles about anything mountain biking related, from fun posts about why you love riding trails to trail awareness and advocacy.
- Bikes & Equipment: Information about mountain bikes, how they work, advice on purchases and upgrades, advice about components, articles about new technology, and more.
- Bike Maintenance & Repair: Teach people how to do their own wrenching, from simple stuff like how to take off a front wheel to complex issues like rebuilding a front shock.
- MTB Skills: Show people how to take their skills to the next level. Be able to explain skills clearly and simply enough that a newbie could understand. Be able to show how to incrementally progress by adding skills on top of one another.
- Cycling Nutrition: Offer advice on everything from hydration for short trail rides in mild conditions to full nutrition preparation for long, hot, grueling excursions.
- Updates to Trail Listings: Have one of the trails in our listings changed in some way? Provide up-to-date information about local trails. You can also provide more descriptive write-ups about the trails, as well as contribute current GPS maps and photographs.
- Video Trail Tours: Many users love to preview a trail before they ride it, and we’ve already linked to the best video tours we can find. Want to go out and record a better video? We’re specifically looking for complete, uncut tours of all the trails in our coverage area. We prefer video with commentary by the rider about technical trail features and tips on how to ride those features cleanly. We don’t typically like videos with music (other than intro bumpers) unless that’s all we can find.
- Other Content: Do you have an idea for something not listed above that you feel would be a great fit for NTX Trails? We’re always open to new ideas related to mountain biking in North Texas.
How do I become an NTX Trails contributor?
Fill out the form below and we’ll get back with you as soon as possible. If we’re interested in having you write for us, you’ll be assigned an article topic to write and a deadline for completion. If your potential contribution is not writing-centric, but rather photos, video, or other media, we’ll give you an assignment and work out a deadline for completion with you.
If we like what we see, we’ll discuss adding you to our contributor roster and determine how often we’d like to see you contribute to NTX Trails. We’ll need you to have a short, updated bio, and a Gravatar image of yourself. If you don’t know how to set up a Gravatar, we’ll help you.
Disclaimer: By submitting material for publication, you guarantee you are the original copyright holder of the work in question, and that you own the legal rights to use the information. By submitting materials, you grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to republish any material you submit to us in any format, including without limitation print and electronic formats. In particular, you agree that we can make your submission available on this site as well as any other NTX Trails publication or media or social media. All submissions may be edited for style, content, grammar, and correctness. Any material deemed defamatory, racist, or otherwise illegal or offensive will not be approved for publication. It is a requirement that you agree to receive email from us, and agree to be responsive to such emails when necessary. No promise of monetary compensation is implied or offered to contributors to NTX Trails.